Volunteering at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
The animals at Buffelsdrift come to us in need of rescue, rehabilitation and sometimes permanent captive care. In an Africa where humans and wildlife sometimes struggle to co-exist peacefully, this program provides a haven and second chance for animals in need. Our Wildlife Conservation volunteers come from all backgrounds, nationalities and with varied familiarity with animals and wildlife, from absolutely no experience to those with a professional background in veterinary or conservation science. What our volunteers do have in common is a love of wildlife and a passion for aiding in the conservation and care of Africa’s diverse species.
Along the Route 62 halfway between Cape Town & Port Elizabeth is the town of Oudtshoorn (Ostrich Capital of the world). It is a Malaria free area and one of the most famous tourist destinations in South Africa. Buffelsdrift game Lodge is situated only 6.5 km from Oudtshoorn on route to the world famous Cango Caves.
2. About Buffelsdrift
Buffelsdrift Game Lodge opened its doors in October 2005 and we have really made our mark nationally and internationally. In this short space of time we have already been voted the top Game Lodge in the Southern Cape by the Professional Management Review and by the AA Awards as one of the top three in South Africa.
We have a Restaurant for 120 people, international standard conference facility for 120 people, wedding chapel and 29 super luxury air-conditioned units all situated alongside a 5 ha waterhole filled with hippo. We also offer bush safaris (game drives), meerkat safaris, weddings with the elephants, elephant feeding and elephant walk excursions.
For the duration of the stay, the volunteer is allocated to a qualified facilitator. The Buffelsdrift program is designed to expose you to as many facets as possible. In a short period it is however not always possible. The programme is therefore flexible and it might include the following:
- Assist with early morning training;
- Preparation of elephant food for visitors to do elephant excursions;
- Preparation for weddings with the elephants;
- Cleaning and preparation of elephant boma in mornings and evenings;
- Meerkat Research Project:
- Assistance with the Meerkat Research Project;
- Collecting field data on a daily basis;
- Morning and late afternoon visits to the burrows;
- Keeping a video diary of the meerkat colonies for behavioral research;
- Other animals (20 species) and birds (217 species) at present:
- Preparation of vehicles and other necessities for game drives (4 per day);
- Data Collecting:
- 1. Daily grazing habits of the animals (plotting on maps);
- 2. Bird identification around our 3 natural waterholes.
- Other Aspects:
- Preparation and assisting with weddings in wedding chapel and conferencing and team building in conference centre;
- Road maintenance of the many kilometres of roads for game drives;
- Maintenance of many kilometres of game fencing around the reserve.
4. Who can apply
Programs are suitable for persons of all ages and who want to be exposed first hand to wild animals in their natural environment.
This project can be joined on a Tuesday or Thursday of the week and any time of the year. You may extend for any length of time (minimum of two weeks)
6. Working hours
Volunteers are busy for an average of 8 working hours per day from Monday to Friday. Weekends are free to relax or to go sightseeing.
Accommodation is large newly built tent with up to four people (same gender) sharing each room. The rooms and tents are basic but our single beds are comfortable with bedding provided (duvets and pillows). Showers and toilet facilities are on-suite and hot water is supplied by gas geysers. Power sockets for electrical items are available in each tent and in the communal area. Three meals are provided by the volunteers with assistants of a staff member.
8. Closest Airport
Only 45 minutes drive from Buffelsdrift we find George Airport along the Garden Route. There are many connecting flights to George from Johannesburg and Cape Town.
9. Attractions in the area
Within a radius of 20 km of us there is the Cango Caves, Cango Wildlife Ranch, Wilgewandel Camel Farm, 3 famous Ostrich Farms, Legro Leather Company, Klein Karoo Ostrich Boutique and many more.
(All rates quoted in South African Rand)
Please contact us directly for updated rates.
Rates include accommodation, all meals and transport to and from George Airport. Volunteers must arrange their own flights to and from George Airport.
- Accommodation in Oudtshoorn
- African Bush Safaris in Oudtshoorn
- Buffelsdrift Game Lodge Management Team
- Community Project
- Conferences in Oudtshoorn
- Contact us
- Elephant Experiences in Oudtshoorn
- FLASH DEAL
- Guest Comments of Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
- Map to Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
- Meerkat Safaris in Oudtshoorn
- Oudtshoorn Activities
- Our “African style” A la Carte Restaurant
- Our Award Winning Wine Selection
- Our Lodge
- Our Rates
- Outdoor Functions at our Elephant Lapa
- Spa Specials & Packages
- Virtual Tour
- Volunteering at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
- Weddings at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
- Winter Specials
- The Spa @ Buffelsdrift